Obtaining a PhD degree without enrolment
You can apply to submit a PhD thesis without enrolment at the Graduate School in accordance with the Ministerial Order on the PhD programme, section 15 (2). This requires qualifications that are comparable to the qualifications obtained through a PhD programme.
- You must have a documented affiliation with the UCPH. Examples of affiliation: You have studied or had a research stay at UCPH, you have cooperated and/or published papers with scientists from UCPH, or you have taken courses at UCPH.
- You must have a university representative when submitting your application. He/she must be employed at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences as either an associate professor, senior researcher, professor, clinical associate professor or clinical professor. He/she acts as supervisor in connection with the PhD defence.
- You must submit your thesis within one year of receiving your approval.
- Neither your PhD thesis nor parts of it may have been used as a basis for obtaining other academic degrees.
- You must have attended and passed PhD courses corresponding to approximately 30 ECTS credits. The courses must have been at PhD level and be relevant to your thesis subject. Learn how to calculate ECTS.
- Prior to your submission of the thesis, you must have actively participated in research environments, including stays at other research institutions, mainly abroad.
- You must have teaching experience or have carried out knowledge dissemination, e.g. presentation of research results.
The fee for submitting a PhD thesis without enrolment is DKK 40,000. The fee covers administration, the assessment committee's fee and travel expenses. The fee must be paid within one month after approval of your application.
The Head of the Graduate School decides whether you meet the admission requirements. If the application is approved you can submit the thesis.
When your application for submitting a thesis without enrolment (cf. section 15(2) of the PhD Order) is approved, this is what you need to do:
- Pay the admission fee (DKK 40,000) which will be collected by the Graduate School.
- Complete the Graduate School’s mandatory PhD courses “Responsible Conduct of Research 1: An Introduction” and “Responsible Conduct of Research 2: Getting Ready for Submission of Manuscripts and Thesis”, before the thesis is submitted.
- Nominate members for an assessment committee at least two months before you hand in your thesis.
- Read and comply with the requirements for a PhD thesis at the Graduate School of Health and Medical Sciences. You have one year to finish your PhD thesis and submit it, starting from the date your application is approved.
Defence and awarding of the degree
Learn more about the practical aspects of the oral defence and the awarding of the PhD degree on the page 'PhD defence and certificate'. Be aware that the form 'Information for the PhD defence and certificate' on the page also applies to PhD students without enrolment.