Obtaining a PhD degree without enrolment
You can apply to submit a PhD thesis without enrolment at the Graduate School in accordance with the Ministerial Order on the PhD programme, section 15 (2). This requires qualifications that are comparable to the qualifications obtained through a PhD programme.
- You must have a university representative when submitting your application. He/she must be employed at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences as either an associate professor, senior researcher, professor, clinical associate professor or clinical professor. He/she acts as supervisor in connection with the PhD defence.
- You must submit your thesis within one year of receiving your approval.
- Neither your PhD thesis nor parts of it may have been used as a basis for obtaining other academic degrees.
- You must have attended and passed PhD courses corresponding to approximately 30 ECTS credits. The courses must have been at PhD level and be relevant to your thesis subject. Learn how to calculate ECTS.
- Prior to your submission of the thesis, you must have actively participated in research environments, including stays at other research institutions, mainly abroad.
- You must have teaching experience or have carried out knowledge dissemination, e.g. presentation of research results.
- Read and comply with the requirements for a PhD thesis at the Graduate School of Health and Medical Sciences.
- Attend the Graduate School’s mandatory PhD course in responsible conduct of research. You must pass the mandatory assignment before submission of the thesis.
- Pay the admission fee (DKK 40,000) which will be collected by the Graduate School.
- Write your thesis. You have one year to finish it, starting from the date your application is approved.
- Nominate members for an assessment committee at least two months before you hand in your thesis.
Defence and awarding of the degree
Learn more about the practical aspects of the oral defence and the awarding of the PhD degree on the page 'PhD defence and certificate'. Be aware that the form 'Information for the PhD defence and certificate' on the page also applies to PhD students without enrolment.