Change of research environment

COVID 19: Learn more about the measures taken by the Graduate School in regards to the covid-19 pandemic.


Why should I change my research environment?

A change of research environment during your PhD programme is a requirement according to the PhD Order, and there are no exceptions to this requirement. There are various ways to plan your change of research environment so that it suits the progress and topic of your project and meets the requirement.

The main purpose of your change of environment is to further your research, to experience a different research environment and to develop your network within your field of research. The stay should preferably be abroad, but stays in Denmark are also accepted.

How do I change my research environment?

Changing your research environment means that you spend a period of time in a different environment from where you normally conduct your research. There are multiple ways for the requirement to be met. It can be a research stay at another research institution, a private research company or organisation etc. either in Denmark or abroad. Your principal supervisor must help you find institutions, research groups or organisations that are relevant to your project. As a rule of thumb, a stay at a co-supervisor’s research facility or department cannot be approved, unless your co-supervisor’s research facility or department differs from your own.

Please note that participation in courses, conferences or congresses is not accepted as a change of environment.











You can apply for change of research environment by following the link below.

The form is in English, but you are welcome to fill in any free text in English or Danish.

The processing time of your application is approximately 14 days.