Financial support for your change of research environment
If your change of research environment lasts for at least four weeks in total and is completed at a research institution abroad or in Denmark outside the Capital Region of Denmark or Region Zealand, you can apply for financial support from the Graduate School to cover travel and study related expenses.
Make sure to carefully plan your stay(s) to meet the requirements for financial support.
Checklist before applying
✓ Obtain documentation of your stay from the host university/institution.
The documentation must contain the institution signature or logo. If you're
✓ Prepare a short statement explaining the connection between your stay and your
✓ Obtain project account information from your department (UCPH employees only).
✓ Submit your due regular assessments before applying for financial support.
Apply for financial support
You can apply for financial support up to two times during your PhD programme. You cannot apply for funding for fewer than four weeks at a time.
You need your KU-login to complete the form.
If you do not know your KU-login or forgot your password, please look for help here.
All PhD students enrolled at the Graduate School have a KU user name and login.
When you apply for financial support, we also register information about your stay. Consequently, you don't need to complete the form "Change of research environment".
Requirements relevant to all applications
- It is possible to apply for financial support for multiple changes of research environment provided that the period(s) last at least four weeks in total.
- You may combine an unlimited number of stays at different host institutions.
- You must obtain documentation of your stay(s) from the host university/institution stating the duration of your research stay.
- You can apply for financial support no more than twice during your PhD programme, provided that the period or periods last at least 4 weeks.
- Supplementary applications may be submitted if your current stay is extended, or if you supplement your first stay with a new research stay.
How much funding does the Graduate School provide?
- The maximum grant is DKK 20,000 for the first month and up to DKK 5,000 for the following five months. Regardless of whether you apply for financial support once or twice, the maximum grant you can receive during your PhD programme is DKK 45,000 (equivalent to a six month stay).
Which budget items can you apply for?
- Travel expenses related to your change of research environment.
- Rent, health, local transport and travel insurance (please check whether your work place covers travel insurance).
- Travel expenses related to journeys for private purposes, private Insurances, participation in congresses and courses are not covered by the grant.
When should you apply?
- Applications for financial support can be submitted before, during or after your stay, but no later than upon the submission of your thesis. However, in order to receive financial support before your stay, please apply at least one month in advance.