Financial support for your change of research environment
If your change of research environment lasts for at least four weeks in total and is completed at a research institution abroad or in Denmark outside the Capital Region of Denmark or Region Zealand, you can apply for financial support from the Graduate School to cover travel and study related expenses.
Make sure to carefully plan your stay(s) to meet the requirements for financial support.
- Obtain documentation of your stay from the host university/institution.
This may be a confirmation letter or email correspondence stating the duration of your research stay.
- The documentation must contain the institution signature or logo. If you're staying at different host universities/institutions, you need documentation from all of them.
- Prepare a short statement explaining the connection between your stay and your PhD project.
- Obtain project account information from your department (UCPH employees only).
Please be aware that the Graduate School can only transfer grants to DR10 accounts.
- Submit your due regular assessments before applying for financial support.
You can apply for financial support up to two times during your PhD programme. You cannot apply for funding for fewer than four weeks at a time.
You need your KU-login to complete the form.
If you do not know your KU-login or forgot your password, please look for help from UCPH IT here.
All PhD students enrolled at the Graduate School have a KU user name and login.
The form is in English, but you are welcome to fill in any free text in English or Danish.
Processing time of your application is approximately 14 days.
When you apply for financial support, we also register information about your stay. Consequently, you don't need to complete the form "Change of research environment".
- It is possible to apply for financial support for multiple changes of research environment provided that the period(s) last at least four weeks in total.
- You may combine an unlimited number of stays at different host institutions.
- You must obtain documentation of your stay(s) from the host university/institution stating the duration of your research stay.
- You can apply for financial support no more than twice during your PhD programme, provided that the period or periods last at least 4 weeks.
- Supplementary applications may be submitted if your current stay is extended, or if you supplement your first stay with a new research stay.
The maximum grant is DKK 20,000 for the first month and up to DKK 5,000 for the following five months.
Regardless of whether you apply for financial support once or twice, the maximum grant you can receive during your PhD programme is DKK 45,000 (equivalent to a six month stay).
- Travel expenses related to your change of research environment.
- Rent, local transport, health and travel insurance (please check whether your work place covers travel insurance).
- Travel expenses related to journeys for private purposes, private Insurances, participation in congresses and courses are not covered by the grant.
- Applications for financial support can be submitted before, during or after your stay, but no later than upon the submission of your thesis. However, in order to receive financial support before your stay, please apply at least one month in advance.