Here we have prepared some of the questions that we get asked more often. Questions are relevant for researchers from all levels at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, from bachelor to professor.

If you have more questions, do not hesitate to contact us at innovation@sund.ku.dk 






A: Although, the idea to commercialize your research should be taken into consideration in early ideation stages, if you are employed at UCPH, the commercialization process officially starts with an invention disclosure, a document that briefly describes how the results of your research could be applied in the shape of a new invention. This document is sent by the researchers to UCPH’s Tech Transfer Office who will assess your invention and decide whether the University wishes to claim its rights or not. This decision takes mainly two factors into account: the commercial potential of the invention and the possibility to protect it with the relevant intellectual property rights. If the Tech Transfer Office considers that the commercial potential is too small or, more often, is unable to protect your invention, they will not claim the rights to your invention. In this situation, the rights of the invention will be transferred back to the researcher that disclosed it. However, if the Tech Transfer Office sees a clear potential in the invention and believes that it can be protected, it will claim its rights and proceed with the preparation of a patent application in order to protect your invention. Once the patent is filed and granted, the Tech Transfer Office will seek to commercialize your invention. There are many ways to commercialize your invention. However, the most common one is through licensing agreements to either already existing companies or new ones, which can originate from the University itself, the so-called spinouts.