Exchange Students

Exchange students are students enrolled in a university with which either the University of Copenhagen or the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences have an agreement. On faculty level, the agreements are programme specific.

Please note that certain study programmes only accepts students from the faculty’s programme specific agreements and not from the university wide agreements.

You can find a list of the faculty’s partners at International Relations


Courses taught in English at the faculty is primarily at master’s level but a few bachelor’s courses are available in English as well.

The university’s course catalogue is available online and here you can find information on credits, prerequisites and detailed course descriptions. Please note that courses at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences have course codes beginning with an “S”.

University of Copenhagen course catalogue

Individual research projects are also an option for exchange students studying pharmaceutical sciences and Animal Science. Make sure you study the faculty’s research groups for relevant projects.

Specific for dentistry

Exchange students in Dentistry can only take 3rd semester of the master’s degree in Dentistry (UCPH curricula) in Copenhagen:

  • Comprehensive Dentistry
  • Paedodontics and Orthodontics
  • Oral Surgery, Oral Pathology and Medicine 2
  • Oral Rehabilitation 3
  • Community Dentistry

The semester is approximately 3-4 months, starting in September, and only available in the autumn semester.

Dentistry is only open for exchange students from the faculty’s programme specific partner universities. Due to capacity limits in the clinics, it is necessary to maintain an exact balance between inbound and outbound students.

Specific for medicine

Exchange students can participate in the faculty’s clinical courses. Medical courses are only open for exchange students from the faculty’s programme specific partner universities.

The clinical rotations are organised into course packages and offered in English.

Unfortunately, the faculty does not offer internships or postgraduate clinical training. Nor can the faculty arrange any other clinical electives than the courses listed below.

Specific for veterinary medicine

The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences has the following options for exchange students in Veterinary Medicine from partner universities:

  • Courses at the Master's level conducted in English (see Online Course Catalogue).
  • Courses at the Bachelor's or Master's level conducted in Danish (see Online Course Catalogue) - only for students with an excellent command of Danish or another Scandinavian language (Swedish or Norwegian).
  • Specialisation courses during the final year of studies in Veterinary Medicine in Equine, Companion Animals, Biomedicine, Herd Health Management and One Health – also in English (each course lasts approximately five months and awards 26.5 ECTS. It is also possible to participate for a shorter period of time, e.g. three months, and earn 15 ECTS).
  • Summer clinics in July and August (at the University Hospital for Companion Animals and at the Large Animal Teaching Hospital). Students will be awarded 1.5 ECTS per week. Please see fact sheets for more information about academic content and application procedure.
  • Summer clinics are primarily for students from partner universities. Only if we have available places are other students welcome to apply. Please send an email to for more information about our waiting list.

Read also the general information for exchange students.

Please note:

Due to restricted capacity, students applying from partner universities or EAEVE/AVMA accredited universities will be given first priority.

Students from partner universities who are considering applying for exchange in Veterinary Medicine at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences are strongly advised to contact the outbound exchange coordinator at their home university. 

The outbound exchange coordinator is then welcome to contact the incoming exchange coordinator at the International Relations Office to explore the options available to the individual student before the student applies. 


As an exchange student, it is your responsibility to ensure that you get all the signatures you need on various documents related to your study abroad. Exchange students most often need signatures on learning agreements, arrival/departure forms, and similar documents.

If you need us to sign your learning agreement, you can do one of the following:

  • scan and send the documents by e-mail to your incoming exchange coordinator
  • send an e-mail to and arrange a meeting
  • bring the documents to the welcome meeting for exchange students

Please note that you have to visit us personally at the International Relations Office to have arrival/departure forms signed. Send us an e-mail and arrange a meeting.

Transcript of records

The International Education and Grants Office at the University of Copenhagen is responsible for issuing all exchange students’ transcript of records.

Copies of your transcript will be sent to your home university.

You can read more on the University's portal for international students